[ale] Get mad at this

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Feb 5 17:16:48 EST 2014

On 02/05/2014 05:03 PM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> I knew a guy who tried to write Pascal in C like that
:)

I'm doing a RPi presentation tomorrow night so I wanted to add a
reboot/halt button to my
digital radio hotspot.  I'm running a LED on the GPIO to let me know
when the RPi can "see" the Internet and that I wrote in Perl.  The
button examples were in Python and lacking time I just went with it.
I've done Python in the past and it has not been that hard to pick up.
I'm lucking up that I'm reading pages on the Internet that say if you
did this in X you do it in Python this way.

Since many of the examples for GPIO control are done in Python I'm going
to show that code in the presentation.  Honestly, RPi.GPIO is so much
cleaner looking than Device::BCM2835.  Since one program manages
reboot/halt and another manages the user notification I'm may just
consolidate the two into a python one.  The perl one uses threads.  One
thread does a ping to the outside and sets a value. The other watches a
log file to see if the radio is linked to a system.  If it is linked we
get a flashing LED.  If it is just connected to the Internet we get
solid LED.  If no connection the light goes out.

The RPi GPIO is nice, but I prefer doing stuff like this on the Arduino
platform.

Chris