[ale] Use opensuse 13.1 to build NAS machine

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Dec 31 12:01:35 EST 2014

If you are planning to clear the storage as your initial step, you could create iscsi targets.
Then you could format them as needed by the individual source requirements.
I'm pretty Time Machine only works with hgfs formated storage, which you could do use on an iscsi target.
All the platforms support iscsi initiators, but Mac would require a third party initiator. studio network solutions has one for $89.
If you plan to use a single backup solution, then any current smb enabled storage would work for all platforms.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com> 12/31/2014 9:12 AM >>>
What I had in mind.

On the machine that holds backups (let me call this NAS box), I was
planning to create folders for each device I plan to backup.
Example

/backup/MainDellWin7Laptop
/backup/TouchPadTablet

Under each of the folders there will be a MMDDYYYY_HHmmSS folders where the
delta backups are held.  I plan to do a push model from each of the devices
using some sort of cronjob script.  I am exploring software that is native
to the OS's

I was trying to understand what is it that NAS gives you vs a solution that
is homegrown.

Another thing I plan to do is to share the media from the backup box to
Apple TV and/or other machines in the house.  Is SAMBA the solution ?

-N