[ale] Use opensuse 13.1 to build NAS machine

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 09:12:49 EST 2014

What I had in mind.

On the machine that holds backups (let me call this NAS box), I was
planning to create folders for each device I plan to backup.
Example

/backup/MainDellWin7Laptop
/backup/TouchPadTablet

Under each of the folders there will be a MMDDYYYY_HHmmSS folders where the
delta backups are held.  I plan to do a push model from each of the devices
using some sort of cronjob script.  I am exploring software that is native
to the OS's

I was trying to understand what is it that NAS gives you vs a solution that
is homegrown.

Another thing I plan to do is to share the media from the backup box to
Apple TV and/or other machines in the house.  Is SAMBA the solution ?

-N