[ale] virtualbox nat

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Wed Dec 31 08:48:48 EST 2014

The regular NAT mode of VirtualBox creates a separate virtual network for
EACH VM, so all four of your VMs are essentially behind their own separate
NAT device, creating 4 separate networks.  I agree this is braindead but it
is historically been how they handled it, and it still seems to be the
default.

You probably want to use the "NAT Network" mode, which acts more like a
single home router with all VMs on the same network behind it.  Or you
might want Bridged mode, which puts the VMs directly on your home network
and bypasses internal NAT altogether.  The list of modes is outlined here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#networkingmodes

❧ Brian Mathis
@orev