[ale] Python Mentors?

David S Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 17:00:22 EST 2014

Hi Alers,

I am just starting to get involved with Python.  I completed the
Codeacademy course and recently completed (or submitted at least) all
the lessons for the O'Reilly School of Technology online Python1
course. (They have a certificate that requires four courses.) The
Codeacademy course is on Python 2.x while OReilly is 3.x.  While I'm
waiting on my teacher to get back from vacation, I was looking for some
more projects, So I've been working on the Python Challenge.

I'm wondering if someone on this list is willing/able to mentor me a
little bit in Python.  My OST teacher is in Bellevue, WA, I think. But
my learning style requires one on one sometimes.  Especially on the
stuff I struggle with.

My eventual goal is to get a job programming.  Are there some open
source python-centric projects in Linux that might look good on a
resume?  I was thinking of helping out with Django, but I was thinking
of something a little smaller first! Is Python actually the new Perl?
Maybe something a little more OS specific?  Like maybe some distro
stuff?  (I like Slackware, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu, btw.)

Thanks in advance!
Dave