[ale] Router recommendation(s)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 26 09:20:21 EST 2014

Ken Cochran <kwc at shell.TheWorld.com> writes:

> Hello ALErs & Merry Christmas!
>
> Any recommendations as to a nice router/firmware nowadays?
>
> I have an Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT (stock firmware was pretty
> crummy) that's been working nicely these past few years, now
> needing another.  Think that Asus was on recommendation here,
> as was possibly DD-WRT.  Netgear R7000?  That nice new(er) Asus?
> Buffalo?  Also DD-WRT?  Tomato?  Something else?

I installed a RouterBoard RB750-GL as my main router.  It runs RouterOS,
which is built on Linux.  Then I deployed a dedicated AP for my Wifi
needs (a D-Link DAP-2660 AC1200).  Yes, it's two pieces of equipment but
for me it works better than a single device.

I used to run a single WRT-610N running DD-WRT, but this device was
killed by a lightning strike back in August.  Moreover, I get much MUCH
better throughput using these new devices.

Obviously YMMV.

> Thanks, -kc

-derek