[ale] Promise VTrak M610i max drive size

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Dec 23 21:52:24 EST 2014

This ground has been trodden over here before but it bears repeating.
With drive sizes at 1TB and larger, the probability of having an
unrecoverable read error on RAID5 rebuild becomes significant enough to
worry about. RAID6 isn't significantly better. Sure, you may get away
with it a few times, in much the same way you might get away with having
evil clown rampage through your data center swinging sledgehammers
around a few times. So if you're going forward with RAID5 or 6 on an
array like this for cost-effectiveness' sake, you'd better be prepared
to restore from tape.