[ale] Using eCryptFS to secure "at rest" data. How to mount at boot?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:27:55 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Raj Wurttemberg <rajaw at c64.us> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to use eCryptFS to secure the "at rest" data on a
> server.
>
> I have ecryptfs installed and I understand how to encrypt a directory. What
> I am missing, is how to mount the ecryptfs encrypted folder at boot (i.e.
> fstab).
>
> I have been Googling for a few hours but everything I have found is how to
> mount an encrypted home folder, which is not what I am looking to
> accomplish.
>
> Kind regards,
> /Raj

My doc from a year or so ago:

#####

### /root/.ecrypt_key

passphrase_passwd=ecryptTHIS####

### Make the first volumes

mkdir /opt/.fred_ecrypt
mkdir /opt/fred

### Edit /etc/fstab

/dev/vgroup2/fred      /opt/.fred_ecrypt     ext3    defaults        1 2

/opt/.fred_ecrypt /opt/fred ecryptfs rw,ecryptfs_sig=1234567890abcdef,
key=passphrase:passphrase
_passwd_file=/root/.ecrypt_key,ecryptfs_passthrough=no,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecr
yptfs_key_bytes=24 0 0

### Mount those two volumes
### If it asks you for approval, then answer yes.
### That generally only happens on the first mount.

mount /opt/.fred_ecrypt
mount /opt/fred

### Make the tmpfs mount

mkdir /opt/fred/testdir

### Edit /etc/fstab
### This lets you use 90% of the RAM

tmpfs   /opt/fred/testdir   tmpfs   defaults,size=90%       0 0

#####
That help?

Leam
--