[ale] VM guest partitioning practices

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Dec 9 13:04:11 EST 2014

In general I believe /var and /tmp should be separate filesystems to avoid filling up / itself when logs or temporary files grow unexpectedly.

I usually do have /usr, /opt, /home (as well as /boot of course) as separate filesystems just to make sure nothing fills up / unexpectedly.   Having / fill up can cause many things to halt at a minimum and can cause bad things like corruption if it occurs.   (/usr because of /usr/local and /usr/share and some 3rd party software, /opt because of some 3rd party software).
Also I usually put all of those in the main root VG (vg00, VolGroup00 or other name) and separate them from major installations of applications and/or databases such as Oracle, Postgres and MySQL - typically I also separate the data from the binaries for those database products as well.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Services of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW