[ale] android test editor/reader

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Apr 29 16:21:26 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-29 10:54, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> You'd think this would be easy.
> Have an Android tablet.  With Micro SD card (which is smaller than my fat
> fingers can handle!)
>
> I have installed on SD card an unencrypted text file.
>
> But I can not find any way to access the file!  I have tried several "text
> editors" and none has a way to look for text files it has not created.  In
> fact none seems to work like a text editor at all.
>
> Does anyone know of a text editor/reader that will do the simple things:
> scan storage media for text files;
> open/save/close a file;
> do simple edits to file?

I use both Jota Text Editor and VimTouch on my phone.  They both will
navigate the full file system and open pretty much any file that has
read permission for the user.

Beware that Google's KitKat update has done some funky things with SD
cards that cause a lot of headache for users.  It's an update to file
permissions that makes the SD card a bit more difficult to use.  It
seems to be causing some issue with VimTouch but Jota appears ok.