[ale] OT: Comcast Wi-Fi

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Apr 25 16:58:15 EDT 2014

Your belief that big corporations don’t do things without proper planning is quite simply wrong.    I know this from having worked at both Fortune 500 and Fortune 100 companies.   You can ride the unicorn while continuing to believe what you believe but I started out by noting it didn’t match my EXPERIENCE.   Sure they’ll have more procedure written up and folks like me will try to insure they don’t do stupid things but on occasion when a Senior VP says “do it” you have to do it and undo it later when they find out externally why you were objecting internally.

Check out the history of GlaxoSmithKline and its Puerto Rico manufacturing facility.   Even though it nearly got them shutdown several years ago and they made a big effort to address the FDAs concerns back then it was only a year or so ago that I again saw this very same facility being gigged by the FDA again.

Remember a few years back when one of the big banks (Chase I think it was) started sending out unsolicited credit cards to all its customers without first notifying them they were coming?

Did the engineers at Firestone or GM own up to why the GM SUVs were rolling over or did they spend time finger pointing at each other?

One benefit of a free press is it highlights some of the worst things that occur and that makes companies deal with the problems.  (GM finally did do a recall over the ignition issue,  Both GM and Firestone finally did work on solving the problem on their end and ignoring each other,  The bank did stop sending the cards (which also now is illegal) all due to the press stories lambasting their responses.

No benefit?  Comcast is advertising this “free wifi” to gain/keep customers so of course there is a benefit:   Money.

Note that I didn’t say Comcast is in fact doing anything illegal, unethical or stupid because I don’t know.   I just said that one shouldn’t assume they or any corporation are not doing one of those things based on a rosy colored view of the world that does match the abundant evidence to the contrary about corporations in general.