[ale] [OT?]Latitude E-series docking station?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:44:24 EDT 2014

If you feel brave, pop out the mobo and try to reflow the solder at the
power connector with a hair dryer on high. Or pop it in the oven at 180F
for 10 minutes and let it col down slowly.

The patent for the mag-safe power connector that Apple has should be
expiring in the next year or so. I expect to see a flood of adapters pop up.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Dustin Strickland <
dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys--
>
> This is a shot in the dark as you are generally smart people, and
> as such, probably all use Lenovos. However, I've been having a rough
> time with this laptop I'm fixing up for my girlfriend to do her
> schoolwork. It's a decent machine- an E5410 with a first gen i5, 4 gigs
> of RAM, more than enough hard drive space... Anyway, I won't bother you
> all with the extremely long-winded story of the goose chase I was on
> while trying to find the source of this laptop's malfunctioning. So, the
> relevant parts:
>
> 1) I think I've tracked the problem to the power jack. The stars must
> be aligned properly, I must burn exactly 9 1/2 incense sticks and
> sacrifice a virgin in order for the laptop to receive power with a
> known-good power supply. Even then, the middle pin on the charger
> won't connect, thus the motherboard won't allow the battery to charge.
> For those that don't know, the middle pin is a data line- Dell's
> response to exploding laptop batteries, actually. It won't charge
> without an adapter reassuring it that it is from Dell.
>
> 2) Dell, in their infinite wisdom, has soldered the DC input jack
> directly to the motherboard. I do not have the soldering skills nor the
> tools available to fix it. Nor do I have $80 for a new motherboard. Or
> even $20 for a docking station unless I *know* it will charge the
> battery.
>
> Are there any of you in the Atlanta area(I'm in Douglasville/Fairburn)
> that have a PW380 docking station that I can use to determine whether
> or not this will help to charge the battery? If it works and you would
> like to get rid of it, I'd gladly shell out $20 for it too. Thanks in
> advance.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*