[ale] replacing disk sda

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:34:26 EDT 2014

On 04/23/2014 01:48 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> The only reason you need a 'bootable' partition is because some OSes
> (like Windows) have the MBR boot the "Boot Sector" off the bootable
> partition..  So you can change which install of windows gets booted by
> changing out the bootable partition.
>
> Grub may or may not necessarily need this, which is why you don't
> necessarily need "bootable" partitions on /dev/sdb.  Grub is on /dev/sda.
>
> Hope this helps clear up any confusion,
playing devils advocate here:) I tried to put grub on sdb, but it
complained.. maybe something about extended partitions.. I was thinking
originally of making my sdb the new sda and adding the new drive as
sdb.. but grub wouldn't let me put it on sdb.. so now I basically have
all my linux partitions on sdb, /home, /, and another linux OS
partition, and my sda has windows that I never use, and a 1TB spare
partition. I don't guess it really matters as long as it boots:)

--
Paul Cartwright