[ale] XRDP

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 02:00:18 EDT 2014

I am trying to use xrdp in a testing environment. I am using opensuse on a
64-bit machine. Is it as cpu and bandwidth friendly as microsoft's terminal
server, or is this a pointless endeavor? What we're trying to do is run a
web browser and a few other apps on a Linux box. I'm not sure if they'll be
running on wine, but wine is cpu friendly. I don't know the whole scope of
what my boss is trying to do, but I've been tasked with looking in to using
linux as a terminal server.

For example, we have customers who can easily fit 60 simultaneous users on
a 2003 terminal server that is five years old, and it's responsive.

We tested vnc in our lab, and it consumed a lot of resources on the server,
to the point that it wouldn't scale as ms ts does.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed.