[ale] replacing disk sda

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 12:42:34 EDT 2014

On 4/22/2014 11:35 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 04/22/2014 11:17 AM, Preston wrote:
>>
>> and fsarchiver to back up everything else on my running system:
>>
>>     fsarchiver -A -a -v -j2 -o savefs /<backup
>> directory>/system-backup-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.fsa /dev/sda1
>>
>> My switches tell fsarchiver to:
>>     -A            do a live backup of a mounted system
>>     -a            don't worry if the partition is mounted without
>> acl/xattr options
>>     -v            be verbose (sometimes don't use this)
>>     -j#          use multi-core cpu (i use 2 cores)
>>     -o            overwrite the archive if it exists instead of failing
>>
>> I use the date command to keep track of when the backup has run.
>>
>> I really like how fsarchiver "doesn't care" about the size of the
>> disk you are putting it back onto when I do a recovery.  As long as
>> it fits, you're good (in my experience).
>
> I just installed fsarchiver, I'll have to play with that.. in your
> case you are backing up /dev/sda1, right?
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux User #367800 and new counter #561587

correct.  so just change it to which one you need.  if you want to
archive several partitions just list them like so:

    fsarchiver -A -a -v -j2 -o savefs /<backup
directory>/system-backup-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.fsa /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb1

it will put them in the single .fsa archive.

Preston

--
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss