[ale] Virtualizing SCO OpenServer 5.x

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Apr 16 00:17:30 EDT 2014

Mike probably has gotten farther with virtualization of SCO than I
have.

First off, if you didn't have the very lastest final version of SCO, it
didn't have hardware support for so much of what we now take for
granted.    IDE, USB.    And does anyone remember how painful it was to
recompile the kernel to add support for additional drivers?   I recall
trying to install on maybe 5.0.4 and it was a flop.

Before you go down that road of trying to virtualize, I'd ask precisely
WHY they cannot migrate to Linux.   I have had some good results
migrating Business Basic applications and DBs intact to Linux systems
from SCO.   It is a bit easier to convince the client to make this jump
when their SCO hardware fries and all they have is a backup tape.    Are
they truly on some dead-end language that cannot migrate?

Regarding transfer, I hate to give away my age, but what about hanging
any desktop on a serial port and using Kermit?  Or UUCP?  Yes, it will
take a while to transfer at 38400, but what's time to a pig?

Neal