[ale] [OT] Science Fiction

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Apr 14 12:14:09 EDT 2014

On 04/14/2014 10:43 AM, Adrya Stembridge wrote:
> Lucifer's Hammer was my introduction to Niven way back in the 80s.
>  Thrilling read for a teenager.
>
> Another favorite is Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series, starting with
> Berserker in 1967.  To this day I am convinced that the Berserkers
> were the idea behind Star Trek's Borg.   Berserker Fury (1997) was one
> of the last in the series and was actually kind of dark/horrific in
> places.
>
> Rendezvous with Rama is near the top of my list of best sci-fi books.
>  Loved this book and the cheesy RPG that was released in the '90s.  I
> hear talk of a movie from time to time but I don't see how 1.5 hours
> can do Clarke's work any favors.
>
> > You should also check out the book's Larry co-authored with Jerry
> Pournelle such as Lucifer's hammer -- really good reading as well.

I can't argue with anything anyone has said.  I've read all of the
mentioned books except I don't know if I read all the Ringworld series.
It was long ago.  I think I read everything Heinlein, Asimov and some of
Clarke wrote.  I subscribed to the SF pulps, Amazing Stores, Issac
Asimov' Science Fiction Magazine and Astounding Science Fiction.  I've
got to say that's hard to pick a favorite, but I think of recent vintage
(later than the 50's) Snow Crash was the most intriguing.  I can't say
why for sure but I thought it was very imaginative.  I know, I'm
strange.  My first exposure to SF was in about 1955 with Heinlein's
"Puppet Masters". I suspect it had more to do with a 10-year-old's
fantasy of scantily clad ladies walking the streets.  :)

Jim.

Jim.