[ale] failing drive

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Apr 9 07:25:24 EDT 2014

On 04/09/2014 07:01 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok,
> I am runnung a badblock script in cron every night. I have a 2-drive
> system. drive 1 is the original drive on the PC. It has my windows 7
> partition, and my /home folder for my current fedora install. "/" for
> fedora is on drive 2.
>
> I want to keep windows 7 ( not to mention my /HOME), but there are now
> 29 bad blocks, up from 28 2 days ago. I have run clonezilla before to
> copy partitions , "/" and "/home" , but I've never done a drive. I have
> a spare partition on drive 2 that can probably fit a copy of drive 1 in
> it.. If I get a BIGGER drive top replace it with, can I run clonezilla
> to copy the disk and replace the 1 TB disk with a 2TB disk and copy the
> clonezilla back to that larger disk??
> anyone have a better idea for backing up the entire drive??

I haven't done this migration with Win7, just WinXP. I'd think it would work.
HDDs are one of the few things that Microsoft's DRM doesn't seem to care about
for upgrades.

Clonezilla is fine.

ddrescue is another way, if the sector sizes match between the old and new HDD.
It doesn't crash when a bad sector is hit like dd does.

gparted will also copy partitions.

Last fall I migrated a netbook from 160G to 500G.  The 160G was 512b sectors and
the 500G has 4Kb sectors. In that situation, let gparted create the partitions
so they are aligned properly. Performance was terrible until I shifted the
alignment.