[ale] wpa_supplicant on hidden SSIDs

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Sep 27 11:02:38 EDT 2013

On 9/27/2013 07:02, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> On 9/26/13 9:26 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>
>> Eh, in my case MAC filtering is reasonable because the wireless
>> devices are not on continuously.  Always-on devices get a wired
>> connection. Portable devices get connected when needed and turned
>> off when not.  In my case I'd estimate about three hours a week of
>> wireless usage so someone would have to wait an awfully long time
>> without being noticed to sniff and snag one of my MACs.
>

> Sniffer running continuous, sitting in the passenger seat with an
> antenna.   I only have to drive by at a time someone is likely to be
> online (after dinner, just after getting home, etc.).  Trying to break
> encryption, however I do have to capture more packets, which means
> more time.
>
> But sniffing a MAC is ridiculously easy and certainly does not require
> a long time.

Not a long time, I know.  But long enough that I'll notice you.  I know
the pitfalls but I'm making the decision that my traffic habits would
make it difficult for anyone but an extremely determined person to get
past the lower level security.  Someone would have to spend a
considerable amount of time every day war driving my place to catch me
on wireless.  Enough time that I will certainly notice the effort (or at
the very least having captured you on camera multiple times).