[ale] wpa_supplicant on hidden SSIDs

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 08:33:03 EDT 2013

According to [1], the card should be supported _without_ having to use
the ndiswrapper. You should be able to use the kernel provided b43
driver. Then you would need a /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file similar to
the following:

~~~~
ap_scan=1

network={
    scan_ssid=1
    ssid="HiddenSSID"
    bssid=68:7f:74:d3:a9:47
    proto=WPA
    group=CCMP
    pairwise=CCMP
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    #psk="A secret key generated with wpa_passphrase"
    psk=c86cdc6991f8db814d426c404a5222ff2a957bb795bad2785e1ccd299a2278cb
}
~~~~

However, it still might not work. I have a Netgear WNDA3100v2 that I
tried to get working in the same situation a couple months ago. No
dice. It's the first time I've messed with wireless in Linux in
several years. I figured support would be better by now, but it's
still abysmal.

[1] -- http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/devices?highlight=%28wpc54g%29