[ale] If at first you don't succeed...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Sep 25 18:06:11 EDT 2013

On 9/25/2013 11:48, Leam Hall wrote:
> Well, good points all. It goes back to the question of what I'm trying
> to do. Historically I've been a "Linux guy" for a while. However, over
> time I've learned to speak network, project, code, security, and a
> little database. Mostly with a web facing, large scale accent.
>
> One problem with the "large scale accent" is that it becomes easy to
> forget the other pieces of the puzzle. Thus I work on really big stuff
> and have to figure out what the state of home networking is.
>
> I want to remain a "soup to nuts" sort of systems engineer. So IPv6 is
> on the table, as is installing firmware. Security is definitely a
> concern as well.
>
> Still unpacking, but the Asus routers look interesting.

The next router I was going to get would probably be one of the Asus
units for a variety of features.  I've had the WRTs for a long time and
they still work quite well but they are limited in space (one of them
has about 560kB free total so I can't add any more packages).

Alternatively I was considering a GuruPlug with the double net
interfaces to run either linux/iptables or pfsense.