[ale] [OT] [Way OT] need to fix eye glasses or replace at reasonable cost

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Wed Sep 25 16:02:07 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 25 September 2013, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Rather than buy yet another pair of glasses, I found that my prior set,
> 2 prescriptions and about 8 years ago, works nicely for staring at the
> computer screen.

Used to do that too until... Below is a reply to an earlier post in this
thread where I was distracted and never sent.

Absolutely *hate* bifocals! Tried a pair of progressives a few years ago and
have a pair of lined bifocal safety glasses from my work. These did not come
from Zenni and scratch much easier than any of the four or five pairs that
did. Not sure if it is lack of an anti scratch coating or the plastic used
for safety glasses is softer, or both...

One subject I did no see mentioned in this thread is intermediate distance
glasses. AKA computer glasses since they are perfect for the typical
distances involved in using a desk top. Those of us who were cursed with
needing distance glasses at a young age are now blessed with an extra ten
years or so before needing reading glasses. When I was younger I had no
problem reading at any distance through my distance glasses. Starting a few
years ago I could no longer do this and had to remove my glasses to see up
close. (Hence the bifocals for the one place I can not do this)

Also started having eye strain for intermediate distance with or with out
glasses. Knowing how much I hate bifocals skipped even trying trifocals and
ordered a pair especially for using a computer. Love them! And the best part
is that I can wear them every where except work. Do keep my stronger distance
glasses in the car, but often don't bother switching unless I am going on
the interstate.
--
William