[ale] If at first you don't succeed...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Sep 25 12:12:25 EDT 2013

On 9/25/2013 09:05, Leam Hall wrote:
> quit mumbling about the ISP and make sure you're not trying to use a
> crossover cable between your cable modem and your internal router...
>
> New cable modem in place. Netgear wireless router in place but needs a
> serious update, only uses WEP. Eek! Comcast tech support not bad at all.
>
> I need to start the hunt for a wireless router. Is the WRT54 still the
> way to go, or something else? I'd like to have access to it. Mostly to
> learn.

Do you want to install your own firmware on it?  I've got two WRT54G's
here (one is a WRT54Gv1.1 and the other is a WRT54GLv1) running OpenWRT.
 But according to the hardware list at OpenWRT, the Asus routers are
pretty good and have lots of RAM and flash space available to use for
all manner of daemons and drivers (USB hard disks hanging off the router
for quick and dirty NAS, VPN (apparently the VPN packages are large so
it needs a device with lots of RAM), multiple virtual wireless networks,
etc.)