[ale] [OT] [Way OT] need to fix eye glasses or replace at reasonable cost

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Sep 23 11:19:49 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Got my Zenni eyeglasses a few days ago.  Prescription seems accurate, just what I ordered.  Quality seems good.  Had to tweak the nose pieces a bit but otherwise fine.

I can see the pine needles on the trees again.  Only near sited people will relate to that.  Bifocal lens is driving me nuts, but that's not Zenni's fault.  I got the lined style.  I think I would have misgivings about ordering progressives by mail because of the alignment of the 2nd lens area.  Nothing on Zenni's order form measured bifocal distance.

I saved a gob of money doing things this way.  Thanks all for the tips.  I have misgivings about ordering this way, because it costs Americans jobs.  But, the reality is that I didn't have $ 300 to spend on this.  If that were my only option, I probably would have just done without

I guess I'm now officially an old fart.  In addition to the bifocals, I have:

* Owned computers that had nothing but a text display for output and nothing but a cassette tape for input.
* Worked on large computer systems that ran on punched cards.
* Designed programs for computers running nothing but DOS.
* 2 Years left before I'm 50.
* Way too much gray in my beard.

Se la vie.  Regardless, I intend to enjoy the present as much as possible.  And, now I can see it a bit better.

Sincerely,

Ron

Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

>On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
><atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two eye glasses issues I hope you can help me with.  You've
>already been warned this is off topic.
>>
>> Every time I deal with the eye glasses industry, I'm convinced most
>are gouging consumers.

-snip-