[ale] [OT] - Ethanol-free gas in the Atlanta area?

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Sat Sep 21 10:41:51 EDT 2013

I'm surprised there hasn't been mentioned on this list
(until now :) that ethanol gasoline is most efficient at
a different air-fuel ratio (umm, it needs to be richer
I think).  I've always found it to run poorly (if at all)
in carbureted engines or even very old fuel-injected ones
(i.e. pre-early-'90s engines that can't adjust their fuel
mix ratios accurately/electronically).  And we really can't
adjust the carburetors to compensate because the mixing jets
are/were usually factory calibrated & not adjustable (except
maybe for idle).  Examples are *any* kind of outdoor power
equipment (mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, older (carbureted)
outboard motors, older (carbureted) inboard marine engines,
and of course antique vehicles.  Ethanol gasoline works ok in
modern fuel-injected engines (albeit with decreased effiency
- they adjust themselves to enrich the air-fuel), and as
has been mentioned on this list, used enough that the fuel
"flushes through" & isn't stored for very long.

Also, I don't believe I've seen *any* metal fuel system
component (other than a fuel-injector itself) on any vehicle
made since the mid-'90s (probably before, too).  I might
speculate that this material change was for weight & lower
manufacturing cost but there's also corrosion resistance
(ethanol gasoline is corrosive to metals from what I've seen).

Thought I'd toss that out I guess...  :)

-kc