[ale] Anybody know office overhead in Atlanta?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Sep 19 09:58:52 EDT 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> I'm having some discussions regarding working arrangement, and one of the factors is the cost of putting a developer in a cube in Atlanta.   Versus office at home.
>
> Does anybody have some numbers on the real, fully-loaded overhead of a developer office?   I'm not talking about rent per square foot.   I'm saying the total annual cost of the facility, rent, insurance, power, Data, janitor, etc, divided by the number of developers using that facility.

Invest in or buy a coffee shop. Have Monday and Wednesday morning team meetings at the coffee shop in the back half where it's a little quieter.
Other meetings as needed. Let them work from home or the coffee shop the rest of the time.  If your coffee shop breaks even, you did better than most office expenses.

When our lease at $work is up, I'm seriously considering doing this if at all possible.

There are usually 3 of us in the office, our office seats 10-15 and sometimes (rarely) we actually have 6 people here.
rent/parking/utilities/etc are almost 4k per month.  I'll call it 1k per month per person for overhead as a round number.
We are in Chattanooga, Atlanta will be a lot higher in some places.