[ale] need 5" android tablet / phone for obd car instrumentation

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 20:07:51 EDT 2013

I run "Torque" on my Nexus 7 using a bluetooth ODB-II dongle.  Works
spectacularly.  I realize that tablet isn't what you want but Torque is
supposed to work on about any android device and it definitely doesn't cost
$160,  I think the pro version was something like $10.  Since I bought it I
can't see the price but it does get updates and have a lot of options.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to find a good way to add obd based instrumentation to my car.
>  The scangauge product is an obvious choice, but they want $ 160 for the 4
> sensor display model.  I thought I was going to use a 7" tablet, but that's
> just a bit too big, and I really have no good place to mount it.  I'm
> thinking I could get away with a 5" tablet and mount it under my gps (also
> 5") in the center of the windshield.  However, 5" tablets are almost
> impossible to find.  So, I wanted to see what you think.  A phone could
> work if and only if it can operate without a cell phone contract or
> account.  If the total parts count ends up over about $ 130, I'll just go
> with a scangauge.  I know I'll have to add an obd-II - USB cable from
> amazon for $ 20 - 30.  I want a wired solution rather than a wireless
> solution for security reasons, since the obd-II adapter will be permanently
> in place.
>
> I've tried the following websites searching for tablets: TigerDirect,
> NewEgg, Micro Center, DealExtreme, ChinaVasion.
>
> Here's what I need:
>
> Required Items:
>
> * 4" - 5" tablet / phone - required
> * OS: Android 4 or better - required
> * Google Apps, Play, etc. - required
> * Screen: capacitive multi touch - required
> * USB: with OTG Capability - required
> * USB Adapter: Micro to Standard - probably required
> * Memory Card Slot - required
> * WiFi Radio - required
> * Lack of Memory Flaw - required - All of internal flash memory after OS
> must be available for user apps and data.  Not partitioned as in 1 GB / 3
> GB.
> * 512 MB RAM or Better, 4 GB Flash or Better - required
> * Windshield Mounting System - required
> * External Power Adapter & Port - required
>      Powering through usb would be a problem unless the obd port can
> provide enough power, which I doubt.  The obd-II - USB cable may not
> provide any power to the tablet at all.  Also, the obd port remains powered
> after the car is turned off, which could drain the car's battery if
> powering the tablet.
>
> Optional Items:
>
> * Bluetooth - desired
> * Gravity Sensor - desired
> * Accelerometer - desired
> * GPS - desired
> * 3G / 4G / Cellular Radio - optional - If present, must be compatible
> with Verizon and the rest of tablet / phone must be able to work without a
> cellular account or contract via wifi only.
>
> Any thoughts?  On the chance any of you wanted to sell me used equipment,
> I would have to get the obd-II adapter and confirm successful operation
> before finalizing a purchase.  I would also have to find viable solutions
> for providing power in the car and mounting the device on the windshield.
>
> Any help is always appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

> quickly.)

> [...]

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar