[ale] Remote file systems and tunnels

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Sep 16 14:41:45 EDT 2013

I'm working on setting up a pair of systems that will need to have the
storage volumes on one (file server) mounted by the other (application
server).  The first problem is they're both going to be on different
subnets (no choice).

I'd like to have a secure link between the two.  I could set up NFS
though that exposes the NFS server's ports to all machines (although I
suppose I could also run iptables and allow only the app server
through).  I was thinking it might be possible to tunnel NFS (or
something similar and suitable) via SSH.  Then I only need the SSH port
open on the server.

The problem is that any document I find for tunneling NFS seems to be
several years old.

Thoughts?