[ale] [OT] fyi Office Depot, semi annual mega sale including tablets / obd stuff

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Sep 15 16:16:39 EDT 2013

Hi all,

PS to prior message.

I haven't opened the Lenovo A1000-F tablet, but upon further reading
about it online, it seems that it may have a fatal flaw.  It has 16 GB
of memory, contrary to the 8 GB that I said before.  Many Android
devices, including the Acer A500 tablet that I already owned, allocate
all the remainder of memory after the OS is accounted for to the user's
apps and the user's data.  So, that generally means you can use about 13
GB of memory on a 16 GB device.  However, on this device, the designer
only allocated 512 MB of memory to the internal storage.  So, that means
that installing about 5 apps crashes the device with out of storage
errors.  This design is insane.  Apparently, there was a patch which
increase it to 2 GB total rather than the 512 MB, which is a little
better.  But, it's still insane.  Just give me all the flash that's left
over after the OS and let me do what I want with it.

I'll probably be returning the tablet unless I can confirm that this is
no longer a problem.

Just passing it along since I was touting this unit as a great deal.  If
they did increase internal storage to 2 GB and you only want to install
a few apps with minimal data, it still might be a good deal.  If the app
lets you move it to 'USB' storage (the remainder above the 2 GB), or
move its data there, then you might be able to use a minimal amount of
'internal storage'.  This doesn't work with all apps though.

Sincerely,

Ron