[ale] Please Help ALE-NW Installfest Sunday 9/15

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:06:26 EDT 2013

My most humble apologies. I will not be able to assist at all on Sunday.
Family put down their collective foot and the install fest and mandatory
family event are on opposite sides of the state at the same time frame.

Installing Fedora 19 onto a macbook pro is now butt-simple.

This link works for F19 as well as F17:
http://anee.me/installing-fedora-on-mac-book-pro/

Note: that is a way complicated process. The easy way is to open the Mac
disk utility and adjust the size of the mac partition down to make room for
the fedora.

Now install rEFIt from here:
http://refit.sourceforge.net/

This will make it easier to poke around the boot up process. Hold down CTL
to get the rEFIt process on boot.

Have a DVD of Fedora 19 full install x86_64 handy. My installs were usually
OK with the internal drive but one system was only happy with an external
USB DVD drive. I did not try the netinstall disk.

Once you get the system to boot into the fedora 19 loader, it's basic
fedora 19 all the way. I did hit a glitch with the same machine with the
DVD issue in the graphics area. It uses an NVidia chip that is pre-nouveau
capable (but still pretty good). I was able to install using the "basic
text" version of the full DVD (yes. text only installer for Fedora 19. ugly
but it works).

Once the install is complete (basic desktop is easiest) and rebooted, the
rpmfusion repo MUST be added - both free and non-free. This provides NVidia
graphics and broadcom wireless modules. Older Mac was set to boot only text
mode using grub interupt, append "single" to the booting line, then edit
/etc/inittab to change runlevel from 5 to 3 and reboot. I had to set a
static IP as NetworkManager expects to be personalized in X. It should also
work to set up dhcp in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your module>
by turning off NetworkManager and restarting networking.

install the akmod-nvidia package as well as xorg-x11-nvidia-* and nvidia*
to get a very nice video performance. Install akmod-wl for broadcom-b43
wireless and all b43* packages. Once rebooted, Fedora 19 will remove
nouveau, build the nvidia module and broadcom module and the desktop will
show the NVIDIA splashscreen and then the wireless will "JUSTWORK" in
NetworkManager.

One macbook pro has a 250G SSD. It totally hauls ass. A bit of paper and
tape to cover the keyboard and trackpad then a bit of metal file madness to
round over the wrist edge of the laptop a bit and the macbook pro make a
better Linux system than IOS box :-).

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's time frame for this event and location - SWMBO double booked me
> plus installfest.
>

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>
>> If you can help for 2-3 hrs sometime next Sunday day, that would be a
>> huge help.
>>
>> On 09/06/2013 07:35 PM, JD wrote:
>> > H E L P !!!
>> > We need volunteers to help during different times of the day.  At this
>> point we
>> > already have 13 SPSU students signed up for the InstallFest, so more
>> volunteers
>> > would be helpful.  Please email me off-list if you can help for a few
>> hours.
>> >
>> > CentOS experts and Mac experts are most definitely needed as is anyone
>> with UEFI
>> > experience (nobody is an expert at this point).
>> >
>> > Thanks for your support in spreading Linux!

> James P. Kinney III
> *
> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
> *
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/