[ale] home media/file server

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Wed Sep 11 08:35:23 EDT 2013

On 09/10/2013 02:29 PM, Sparr wrote:
> I haven't kept up with media streaming technology for the past 5-10
> years (UPNP is still hot stuff to me), especially proprietary stuff
> (like how an XBox360 gets media from a Windows desktop on a home
> network). However, I now find myself in a house full of people who
> want to share all of our media with each other, and do all of our
> media acquisition, with a centralized server.
>
> I do not want to spend more than a few days tinkering with
> configuration files and network daemons and such. Is there a good
> mostly-Free mostly-free solution to this problem?

Hak5 did a episode segment for owncloud.  Install it on (ubuntu) and you
have a "personal cloud drop box" and there are at least two android apps
you can use to access it from droid (one paid, one free).
http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:community&package=owncloud

They made it look drop dead easy.  go to hak5.org or youtube and search
for that episode (or guess use your $SEARCHENGINEfoo) to see if it is
for you.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon at damtek.com