[ale] home media/file server

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 14:58:49 EDT 2013

It works great with my Rokus.  I only wish I could access it from my TiVo
and then I'd be set.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Calvin Harrigan <calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 9/10/2013 2:42 PM, Sparr wrote:
>
>> Plex seems to only work with devices they've written Plex apps for,
>> which wouldn't be linux desktops or laptops, or older android devices,
>> or a lot of other possibilities. I'm looking for something a lot less
>> proprietary than Plex seems to be.
>>

> You can access Plex with just a web browser on any platform.
> I've been using it for a couple years coupled with mythtv.  It makes a
> great back end.
>

>  On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM, chip <chip.gwyn at gmail.com
>> <mailto:chip.gwyn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Check out the plex media server.
>>
>>     http://www.plexapp.com/**getplex/ <http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/>
>>

>>     On Tuesday, September 10, 2013, Sparr wrote:
>>
>>         I haven't kept up with media streaming technology for the past
>>         5-10 years (UPNP is still hot stuff to me), especially
>>         proprietary stuff (like how an XBox360 gets media from a Windows
>>         desktop on a home network). However, I now find myself in a
>>         house full of people who want to share all of our media with
>>         each other, and do all of our media acquisition, with a
>>         centralized server.
>>
>>         I do not want to spend more than a few days tinkering with
>>         configuration files and network daemons and such. Is there a
>>         good mostly-Free mostly-free solution to this problem?

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar