[ale] OT: XO dns outage?

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Sun Sep 8 14:27:08 EDT 2013

They are back up now. 24 hour outage. Pretty bad communication from them
... no notification on their website, no e-mail, nothing.

We were dead in the water for that time, even our Google Apps was set up to
resolve through them.

How does this happen? Isn't the whole point of DNS that there are multiple
name servers globally so that an outage at one service provider does not
cause all our url's to stop resolving? This event leads me to conclude that
our entire zone file was referenced only on the XO servers and nowhere
else. Can someone explain this?

cheers
ed

--
Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW | Norcross, GA 30071
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not