[ale] CUPS or LPR?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Sep 6 14:27:12 EDT 2013

Sorry Ron, can't use a standalone print server, not for the label
printer (which is a serial port device) because this is for work and
those things are considered unsecured devices and banned from the
network (work makes a minor exception for things like HP JetDirect but
they are on an isolated network.)

Most of the code to generate the labels is going to sit on the eventual
server which will also happen to have print duties though it's not the
primary function (the primary function is a massive data storage system
plus database back end for some web applications that I've written.)
Occasionally it will be asked to print from Windows-only software but
most of the time it's my own code.  I only need CUPS/lpr for any of the
remote computers that may print to it.  The local code will write
directly to the port (maybe later I'll have it write to a queue.)