[ale] Shaping Problem

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Oct 31 18:49:53 EDT 2013

On 10/31/2013 06:39 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 05:58 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
>> This script is very odd.  I don't see how it can possibly do what its
>> comments claim.  A queuing discipline only shapes traffic that is
>> leaving an interface.  Ergo, you can't shape upload and download in the
>> same hierarchical token bucket.
>>
>> In a router between LAN and internet, you can shape download traffic as
>> it leaves the router's LAN port, and shape upload traffic as it leaves
>> the router's WAN port.  Two separate HTBs on two separate interfaces.
>
> So it is not possible to shape (drop packets as needed) on the inbound
> traffic.  I can do that via the router.   The router in this case is
> upstream and out of my control.  What I could do is put a Linux device
> there with two interfaces and bridge them.  I can then shape the bridge.

You can do some policing on inbound (called "ingress" in the tc docs).
But not with the hierarchical token bucket.  To use that with ingress,
you need a kernel that supports the ifb virtual devices ("intermediate
functional block") like I showed.

If you go with the bridge, please report back.  I didn't think that
would work.

Phil