[ale] dyndns.com

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Wed Oct 30 13:24:43 EDT 2013

I want to get a dynamic dns account for my vanity domain, johnheim.com.
I see that dyndns has a debian package so I went there and created an
account. When I started putting things in my shopping cart, I saw that
transfering the domain was like ten or twelve bucks. But it wants to
charge me something like $35 for "standard DNS". Do I need that? I'm
getting a total of around $45 for one year. Everywhere else I look, it's
$10 to $15 *total*.

The shopping cart options at dyndns.com  for DNS are something like
"standard DNS", managed DNS (which is way more), and "I want to run my
own DNS server." I don't want to pay $35 for DNS nor do I want to run my
own DNS server.  Is the shopping cart just misleading or do I really
need that standard DNS service?

I know that I could just use a different company but I'm blind
anddyndns.com works well with a screen reader. Better than  namecheap,
godaddy, or namesecure.

--
===
John Heim, john at johnheim.net