[ale] Somewhat OT - MicroSD linux/android - flakey

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Oct 28 12:13:38 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> **
> Somewhat OT.
>
> My HTC Rezound has had a Kingston SDC4/16GB microSDHC Flash Card - 16GB,
> Class 4, Adapter in it for about 2 years now.  Worked fine.
>
> Last couple of months, it has occasionally decided there is no SD card.
> Reboot doesn't help.   Taking the phone apart, sliding card in and out
> usually helps, but not always.
>
> Thus far, every time I've pulled it out and stuck it in the little adapter
> carrier, and stuck that in the front of my HP running Centos (see, not
> totally OT) it has read just fine.
>
> HTC has not provided much insight, they just say maybe the SD card is
> intermittently shot, and get another Class 4 or class 6 card.  That would
> be cheap and the best answer.
>
> The less attractive answer is the SD contacts in the phone are going
> south.
>
> Anybody got experience with an SD that is iffy in a phone, but not iffy in
> a desktop?
>
> Any Vendors better than others?
>

> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

For something not removed often, contacts are unlikely to be your weak spot.

It's worth noting that there are 3 modes [1] under which an SD card can be
accessed.  It's possible the controller (or contacts, though less likely)
is bad under a single mode and that the phone and desktop use different
modes to access the data.

The "name brands" for flash media are all likely to have similar quality --
Kingston, PNY, SanDisk.  If you care about quality, steer clear of
Polaroid, Micro Center, etc.  I'm not saying they're bad, just less
predictable -- they're probably made with the same components as the other
brands, but it's hard to tell as they don't make the devices themselves.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Transfer_modes

--
David Tomaschik