[ale] Any language (wuz: Assembly Language?)

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Oct 27 18:02:30 EDT 2013

"Michael B. Trausch" <mbt at naunetcorp.com> wrote:

>On 10/27/2013 02:53 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> I have never known and used more than 1 computer language at a time.
>What that was varied depending on the time.  But, it seems to me that
>being fluent, and not confused, in more than 1 at a time would be very
>hard.  I cannot really imagine being productive in Clipper, C++, and Go
>all at the same time, for example.
>
>It's possible, as long as you remember the core concept of what you're
>doing.  All programming comes down to is taking a problem and
>expressing
>it (codifying it) so that the computer understands how to work the
>problem.
>
>Of course, to be fluent in multiple languages, you must be pretty
>familiar with its gotchas.  I'm fluent in C, C#, Vala, PHP and Python
>at
>this point.
>
>I've never touched Clipper or anything else in that family, though I'm
>aware of the family and could write a program in it after perhaps a day
>
>or two of reading to make sure that I learn the core concepts and
>enough
>to know what the invariants of the environment are.
>
>But that's really all there is to it.  A programming environment can
>differ even when the same language is used.  Look at JavaScript for the
>
>canonical and most easily cited example of that; JS inside the browser
>and outside of the browser are two different beasts, in terms of what
>the actual environment is.  The language is, however, the same.
>
>     --- Mike
>
>--
>Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch
>
>President, *Naunet Corporation*
>? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
>FAX: (678) 783-7843

Hi Mike,

Fluent in 5 languages.  I'm impressed.  Interesting that Vala is on your list, which is not on most people's radar.  And, it's interesting that C++ is not, which is on most people's radar.

So, just out of curiosity, what prompted you to learn Vala?  What pros and cons does it have?

And, do you not use the "++" features of C++?

Sincerely,

Ron