[ale] Print Server Owned?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Oct 24 23:41:13 EDT 2013

What threats are you concerned about?  Do you consider your LAN trusted?
 Do you allow untrusted devices on it?

There's absolutely exploits for networked printers, and there's research
into them being used for persistent threats (won't say the 3 letters here),
but I suspect that a consumer printer connected to a home LAN presents
little to no increase in overall threat surface.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Stephen R. Blevins <
stephen.r.blevins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone ever hear of a print server being "owned."  I do *not* have that
> problem but I am seeking ways to prevent it from happening, if it is indeed
> possible.
>
> I have an HP 7310 All-In-One printer, that has an Ethernet connection,
> suggesting that it can be connected directly to my home LAN and will serve
> all systems on that LAN.  The printer is currently USB-connected to a Linux
> Ubuntu 10.4 system (I'll be upgrading to the next Mint LTS release when it
> comes out).  We have a Netgear N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL Modem
> Router Model DGND4000 Premium Edition, which I don't believe has a firewall
> of its own.
>
> I am  hesitant to directly connect the printer to the LAN, but I am open
> to suggestions.
>
> Questions, or clarifications?  Feel free to ask.
> --
> Stephen R. Blevins
> stephen.r.blevins at gmail.com

David Tomaschik