[ale] Fedora grousing

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Oct 23 13:32:32 EDT 2013

>> Use rvm or rbenv to keep ruby app dependencies self-contained. NEVER use the OS
>> ruby, gem, rails - NEVER.
>
> Unfortunately this does not always work well.  When you create a new
> rails app ("rails new", IIRC -- it's been over a year) -- it tries to do
> a "bundle install" which will pull down new gems... which is really hard
> to back out.

If you are inside an rvm environment, the Rails version, which is key in the
Gemfile, should force compatible gems most of the time. I see versions specified
in the default Gemfiles here. Any incompatible gems will cause an error that
begs to have a version entered back into the project Gemfile.

Lots of Rails devs develope on older Rails/Ruby versions.