[ale] Fedora grousing

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Oct 23 13:16:34 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 12:44 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> I shut down my Redmine server because of Ruby.  Too big, too heavy, and always
> pulling on the server resources.  Any application that requires 300 MB of
> working set when idle does NOT belong on my network.

The RAM and CPU issue is why I'm writing Perl+Dancer instead of Ruby+Rails.

I do have a few Rails apps deployed, but only on internal hardware where
changing the RAM is trivial at Gem update time.  A few times that I've tried
updating gems ran out of memory with less than 1G allocated to the VM.
Unbelievable. If written in some other language, 384MB would probably be fine
for the app and module management (assuming a different VM for the RDBMS).