[ale] Fedora grousing

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 23 11:43:36 EDT 2013

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:

> Chuck et al,
>
> As a   l o n g   time red hat then fedora user, I thought the new installer in
> fedora 18 was bad implementation of a decent but unpolished idea.
> I think philosophically the idea is to make it so a total newbie could get a
> working install. But it was done at the expense of all the experienced users.
> The partitioning tool is nearly useless. It allows ZERO control over mdraid
> partitions. It's really only useful for making a simple desktop.
> The package selection is crippled as well. Again simplicity trumps
> functionality.

I noticed this as well; I had a heck of a time installed an F18 VM a
while ago (whereas F17 was easy).  I'll just say that anaconda in F19 is
much better and reintroduces some of the more advanced options and
controls; I was able to install an F19 VM much easier.  I haven't looked
at F20, yet.

The other thing Fedora did is remove the ability to update an existing
system via DVD.  Now the only way to update an existing system is to use
the network.  (I hope you have a local mirror!)  Also, if you're
updating an older system you need to update to F17 and only then can you
update to F18 and beyond.

-derek