[ale] mint 13 vm running out of storage space

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Oct 14 10:20:52 EDT 2013

On 10/13/2013 09:47 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> I use LVM for my virtual machines, but the biggest bang for the buck
> comes from the *host* LVM.  Specifically, I create logical volumes on my
> host, one per virtual disk.  The "VBoxManage" tool can create a mapping
> in a tiny .vmdk file that provides 1:1 sector mapping for that virtual
> hard drive into the logical volume.  This make a certain tasks absurdly
> easy:
>
> 1) Resizing.  Disconnect the mapping from its VM, delete it, extend the
> LV with your preferred LVM tool, recreate and reconnect the mapping.
> Presto!  VM now sees larger drive just as if you had performed a
> disk-to-larger-disk copy.
>
> 2) Host access.  The "kpartx" tool can see the embedded partition table
> and set up device mappings to its partitions *from the host*.  (With the
> VM shut down, of course.)  This makes it possible to scan my untrusted
> VM disks for viruses (w/ clamav) *without running the VM*.  Or do
> anything else I need with those files.

I do the same thing with LVM in the containers; I just have
LVM-inside-LVM (my hosts always use LVM).  The guests have their own
LVMs, too; specifically, I put each guest's hard disk drives each on a
single LV, which contains the internal LVM.  I can get to resizing it
from the host if I want to, but since I'm usually in the middle of a
task, it's quicker to add a virtual HDD, integrate it, and move on.
Five minutes of time required and no downtime!

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843