[ale] Point Linux: my review if you miss Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Debian 6, check it out

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 14:00:08 EDT 2013

http://pointlinux.org/

I don't know if this has been written about on ALE, but wanted to pass this
on as this turned into my weekend project to get something running on a
spare Dell Inspiron for a friend. As a former Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu
Gnome 2 user imho I've found the best distribution showcasing MATE to date,
while simultaneously addressing the key usability issues with Debian as a
desktop (the media codecs, current Firefox & Libreoffice) but in the most
minimalist fashion. On the Dell Inspiron e1505 (Intel Core Duo t5600) the
only struggle is I had was to use a Tenda wireless USB adapter until I
could address the lan and internal wireless with the B43 and B44 drivers.
With 2GB RAM installing the 32-bit version the RAM footprint was about
160MB.  I wrote the developers urging them to hold off on Mate 1.6 until
it's had time to mature, being at Mate 1.4.2 is in keeping in line with
Wheezy's solid but conservative approach IMHO, and got some feedback that's
exactly what they're doing and they're sticking with Mate 1.4.2 treating it
like an LTS.

Don

--
Don Kramer