[ale] Non-flash, Non-Office Presentation tool

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Fri Oct 11 09:15:54 EDT 2013

Jonathan Meek <jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I am looking for a way to do my upcoming ALE talk next month without using
> LibreOffice or an online presentation service (e.g. Google Docs). I think
> recall that someone in our group gave a talk using basically a HTML app
> that was a slideshow (I could be just imagining it, Masters Degree sleep
> deprivation will do that to you). Anyways, if anyone has any ideas or
> thoughts, they would be most helpful.

I know I'm a bit late, but if you have any familiarity with HTML and
Javascript, it's really not all that difficult to do it yourself with a little
HTML5 and an jquery. I've done a few this way and was able to get nice
presentations with a bunch of esoteric things that I like (non-linear flow,
custom transitions that use a combination of jquery and video, and full-screen
video with clickable links... kind of like a DVD menu). The only caveat is that
maintenance can be a bit of a hassle if you're not careful (just like
maintaining any website).

  -Jason