[ale] Moral or Ethical to think of being a .NET consultant for a Linux lover

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 10 10:16:16 EDT 2013

Narahari,

You'll probably get 400 answers ... all different.

My personal opinion is: do what works for your personal needs and your career.  The more you know, the more marketable you are.

However, you want to be happy as well as paid if possible.  If, hypothetically, you are unhappy working on .NET stuff, for technological, sociological, or philosophical reasons, you may wish to get paid doing Linux stuff ... if it is feasible.

I think the .NET ecosystem has some cool technology and nice benefits for developers and consultants, just based on reading about it, not doing it.

The Microsoft based ecosystem certainly has the large numbers of users to make those skills marketable, but there is more competition among those developers and consultants.

I would never say that working on "technology X" is unethical, unless "technology X" is widely and pervasively used to hurt people without cause.  I may use a gun to kill a thief, but I don't consider that, or that industry, to be unethical.  (I'm not trying to steer the thread in that direction.  Just an example.)

Look out for your own best interests in an honorable manner.  Nothing wrong with that.

It is true that this group may not wish to discuss all your new .NET knowledge if you go down that path.

2 - 3 years ago, I brought up a programming thread discussing using .NET on open source systems.  That's another avenue you might pursue, although I don't know how much traction those projects ever gained.

Sincerely,

Ron