[ale] Free video editing software?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Oct 10 09:49:26 EDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 01:05 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> allow me to "chop up" a .wmv file.

If you could get the source in a better format ... mpeg2 or h.264, then there
are lots of choices.  WMV is just a container, so without nkowing the exact
codec used, we don't know if anything can cut it ... or even play the content.

If VLC can play it, then there should be lots of tools that can do what you want.

OTOH, WMV is known for proprietary formats that are hard to edit. Transcoding
always looses "some" quality, so minimizing transcodes is a basic idea. I doubt
the orginial recording was made in WMV.