[ale] Where Did The Disk Go???

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 13:14:55 EST 2013

nice tool work, Phil!

+1 on process. Sounds like lightning strike killed the board on the drive.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> On 11/27/2013 11:18 AM, Gene Poole wrote:
> > I'm running CentOS 5.9 x86_64 on a machine I built myself that has 6 SATA
> > II hard drives (4 - 1 TB drives; 2 - 1.5 TB drives) all in several RAID-1
> > arrays. These arrays were created when I did the original installation
> > with CentOS 5.1 and each created partition (both standard and LVM) were
> > built raid 1.
> >
> > Due to some things happening around the house that required most of my
> > attention, I saw some alerts concerning drive /dev/sdb but I didn't have
> > time to address it and since I am running raid 1...  One of the tings
> that
> > happened was my home took a lightening strike and we were down for 4
> days.
> >
> > When we got our electricity back and I brought the machine back up I
> > noticed that there were only 5 drives listed  and I wasn't getting any
> > more alerts.  What was /dev/sdb was no longer listed with any command
> > (fdisk; cat /proc/mdstat; mdadm --list).
>
> Before you do anything else, document what you have.  I suggest you
> start with "lsdrv" [1] for the bird's-eye view, then:
>
> "smartctl -x" for each drive,
> "fdisk -l" or "gdisk -l" for each drive,
> "mdadm -D" for each array,
> "mdadm -E" for each array member
>
> > I do have a spare drive and my questions are:
> >
> > Anyone know how I can find the serial number of the bad drive?
>
> After the above, turn off the system and look at the drive stickers.
> Find the one that doesn't match anything documented.
>
> > Once replaced, what is the best way to get the partitions recreated?
>
> If your drives are still MBR, I'd just "dd" the pre-partion 1 area onto
> the new drive and issue "blockdev --rereadpt" (the new drive must be the
> same size as the original).  If your drives have GPT partitions, use
> gdisk's backup and restore features.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Gene Poole
>
> HTH,
>
> Phil
>
> [1] http://github.com/pturmel/lsdrv

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*