[ale] CentOS keeps rebooting

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 22:57:44 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's very useful but sort of sad. Caps are not supposed to be wear
> components :-(

Well, a lot of these were produced by one major Japanese component company
that evidently had built capacitors with the wrong
electrolyte. A ton of manufacturers had bad CPU boards that developed over
time as a result. I have done a couple of motherboards and monitors
repairs  by replacing these, but it can be a bit tedious work (remove the
motherboard from the cabinet to get access to both sizes, determine
the sizes and quantities of parts needed, order said parts, wait for parts
to arrive, and install). I have found a place in Chamblee that carried
a lot of these part on hand, but it isn't very convenient to me comparied
to UPS.

This problem also occurs on any device with electrolytic capacitors that
does not have power applied to it for a while. A common thing with
ham radios is to bring up the device slowly on lower voltage to allow time
for the electrolyte to reform, but it is far from a certain thing that
a very old capacitor will reform. Electrolytic caps are problematic over
time in any cas. That is why you are seeing motherboards that
advertise solid capacitors - they don't have this problem.

-- David "Almost became an EE" Ritchie