[ale] how to slurp the rpm juice

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Thu May 30 22:30:17 EDT 2013

It is much better to stick with the version that ships with the OS, and let the folks at SUSE deal with testing patches, etc... If that is not possible, because of a need for a newer version, you should add a repo from OpenSUSE build service that corresponds to your sp level and architecture of SLES, and add in your customizations, staying within the modular configuration conventions. Source rpms are also available.
If you are making customizations, maybe you should create an obs account and build your rpms there.
Try not to do it manually if you don't have to. The task of updating packages and testing is already being done by SUSE.
Allen B.